Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book 17: The Speed of Trust by Stephen M.R. Covey


Trust ... how can one word elicit a piece of work that is 318 pages? I wondered why this book was only a "bestseller" vs. a "national bestseller" or why was there not a declaration about how many millions of copies it had sold? Because, it hasn't. And here are my thoughts...

His concept is spot on and rather simple too. Trust starts with the self: integrity, intent, ability, and results. I enjoyed his perspective on how these 4 core components of trust need to be in place before you can move to the how of trust. Then he outlines 13 behaviors that need to be acted upon with integrity, intent, ability, and results such as accountability, capability, expanding on trust, etc. I am missing 10, but I assure you they are rather simple. And then he outlines how these play a major role in relationships, leadership, and society.

Unless of course I am the naive one and these are not so simple - is it possible that the majority of us actually do not act from a place of trust? Well, he did write 318 pages about it.

Mr. Covey's concept is that with trust you open the door to creativity, movements, growth, and you lift those around you up. I agree. I am just not so sure it needed the extensive chapters.

Of course, read it. Why? Because whether I loved this read or not, I am better knowing than not knowing.

Andrea

P.S.
Don't confuse Stephen M.R. Covey with his father and author of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey.

No comments:

Post a Comment